Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2
Now that the Mobile World Congress is over, the dust settled and we have been disappointed at the lack of big announcements Fair this year’s biggest mobile, it is clear that there are two smartphones that will vie for the crown at least in this first half of the year.
I say first half because, apparently, manufacturers are trying to push two models premium per year, breaking the cycle of 12 months. Sony did with the launch of Z1 last year replacing the Z / ZL main phone. Samsung did it in part with the launch of S4 Active: basically an S4, but with water and dust resistance (yes, one of the most important characteristics of S5). Nor can we forget the other line “top of the line” from Samsung, the Note, will surely be renewed in July.
However, the two teams competing for our attention, initially, will be the Z2 and sl S5. Here the characteristics of each, side by side view.
|Features||Sony Xperia Z2||Samsung Galaxy S5|
|CPU||Qualcomm 2.3 Ghz Quad Core||Qualcomm 2.5 Ghz Quad Core|
|RAM||3 GB||2 GB|
|Durability||IPX5 and IPX8 (submersible underwater), IP5X (dust protection)||IP67 (dust and water resistant)|
|Screen||5.2 “1080, 424 ppi||5.1 1080, 432 ppi|
|Camera||20.7 megapixels||16 megapixels|
|Chamber functions||Optical image stabilization, object tracking, red-eye reduction, scene recognition, smile oburador, panorama, HDR, Face Detection.||Selective Focus (at Nokia Lumia), HDR, panorama, super fast autofocus, shot virtual tour panorama, phase detection|
|Storage||16/32 GBs, expandable via MicroSD up to 64 GBs||16/32 GBs, 128 GBs expandable via MicroSD up|
|Video||Ultra HD / 4K at 30 frames per second||Ultra HD / 4K at 30 frames per second|
|Android||4.4 KitKat||4.4 KitKat|
|Battery||3,000 mAh||2,800 mAh|
|Thickness||8.2 mm||8.1 mm|
|Weight||163 gr.||145 gr.|
As for features, the Z2 seem to have an advantage over the Galaxy S5:
- The Z2 has better durability, being a phone submersible underwater . That is, we can dive into the pool with my phone without fear (for a maximum of 30 minutes). S5, on the other hand, is only water resistant, ie, a few drops can tip, but will not withstand being submerged.
- Z2 camera has more megapixels, but we know the history of megapixels: more does not necessarily mean better .Samsung has always been one of the best in Android image processing, so it’s something we’ll have to evaluate the same equipment
- Z2 battery again seems superior to that of the S5, but Samsung is implementing new technologies that could prolong it, despite having less capacity.
- The processor of the S5 seems to be slightly higher (both use the model Snapdragon 801 of Qualcomm), but Sony has wisely packaged more RAM configuration (turned up at the height of Note 3), and we all know how greedy is Android in terms RAM.
- On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S5 offers something which has no equivalent Z2: a fingerprint sensor, similar to the one presented by Apple last year.